Sunday, March 24, 2013

Nobody Told Me it Would Be This Hard

Sunday, March 24, 2013 4:30 PM - Day 1 of new blog

Nobody told me it would be this hard to navigate life at 47 years old.
Well, actually they did, but I didn't believe them;)

I have a full time job as a mental health clinician working with adults who have psychiatric disorders. 
I enjoy the clients I treat, but I don't enjoy the work politics, endless paperwork and lack of support from the "higher ups". But, what can you do ... 

Lou, my husband, wrote an ebook to help cope with work stress. It's my Bible, and helps me get through the muddy waters of work. Here's a copy if you'd like: Coping with Work Stress

You know what is really difficult sometimes? 
The fact that I have never had a break from work for more than two weeks for a vacation. 
From the moment I completed my internship, I have been working non-stop. 
I never was laid-off, never had maternity leave, never went on short term disability, never had a sabbatical. 
OK, I am grateful for the lack of adversity in my life, but I find myself envious of people who have weeks and months to take care of things in their house or reinvent themselves. 

I am learning to cope with this by making sure I meditate every morning. 
"How can that help?"  you may wonder.
Meditation helps everything settle back into perspective. 
I sit with my breath, my thoughts, my body and my environment, exactly the way it is, and calmly observe it all. This awareness helps me live in the present moment instead of thinking about what I don't have or what I wish was different. As they say - it is what it is.
Meditation = acceptance.

Here's a great article about this: Making Your Mind Your Best Friend

I'll be back tomorrow with more ...

Marilyn



No comments:

Post a Comment