Friday, March 29, 2013

The Joys of Mentorship

Friday, March 29, 2013 - 8:30 PM - Day 6 of new blog

I love being a mentor to students. It helps me feel satisfied, helpful and accomplished.

I had a VERY full week with my usual therapy appointments throughout each day, groups three days this week and additional phone calls for guidance/support.

However, I also did a presentation at a local college on Music Therapy in Mental Health.
I had a graduate music student sit in on one of my groups and another graduate student interview me for a full hour on my journey as a Music Therapist.
I have a Music Therapy Intern I'm supervising since last July until this summer.

What I have found is that the extra time taken to help students learn from my experience is well worth it!  It does not drain energy, it enhances it.
To know you can help a educate someone new to the field not by "book knowledge", but through 25 years of personal experience, insight and learning-from-mistakes is a gift.
It's exhilarating.

Helping others learn by your experience helps everyone live stress free:)

See you tomorrow,
Marilyn






No comments:

Post a Comment