Saturday, March 30, 2013

What it's Like to Be On Call

Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 8:30 PM - Day 7 of new blog

Let me tell you about being on-call.

The mental health clinic I work for has therapists responsible for on-call four weeks each year.

This is my week to be on-call for the spring.

Unlike many professions who are on-call, our job is to triage each call. We are responsible for any emergency situations for the 1600 patients enrolled at our clinic. If it was just talking to the patient, offering support and guidance and hanging up, it wouldn't be so bad.

But ... we must connect with the psychiatrist for medication questions, the hospital emergency department for lethality risk and/or collateral information, the residential counselors for housing protocol, family members for reassurance, etc. etc. etc.

Just this morning I had a situation that took from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM to resolve with 6 phone calls involved. It takes a lot of time!

So, my stress level always rises the week I'm on-call.

What to do ... what to do ...


  • I keep my sense of humor in the forefront
  • I let go of my desires
  • I see myself as a servant
  • I eat good food;)
  • I take my time
  • I spend time on different aspects of my life to balance the extra work output
  • I make whoever I am talking to on the phone laugh
Thanks for checking in with my blogs:)))
May you be stress free each day.

Marilyn


2 comments:

  1. Nice Blog.
    Is it the number of hours we sit at an office desk, that determines the value you generate?

    It is the energy we bring to the hours we work in office. Human beings are designed to pulse rhythmically between using-up and renewing energy.

    That's how we operate at our best. Maintaining a steady reservoir of energy; physically, mentally, emotionally and even spiritually, requires replenishing it intermittently.
    Jyoti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. Thanks for sharing:)))
    And thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete