Sunday, April 7, 2013

Three Suggestions When Things Pile Up

Sunday, April 7, 2013 - 9:15 PM - Day 15 of new blog

Well, it's the 15th day of writing this blog. It's become a comfortable ritual I participate in much like my daily meditation practice, brushing my teeth and taking my vitamins:))

I've discovered creating a ritual is the best way to commit to something. It makes it special. It makes it sacred.

One area that is difficult to create a ritual with is keeping up with my email. So many emails come in each day - various lists I subscribe to, catelogs, LSF-related mailings, and the 3 F's: friends, family, forwards!

When your schedule is super busy you can get behind on these emails. Most of us do!

I went through 285 emails tonight, instead of writing a new article for our website.
Was it a priority? Tonight it was, because I was in the mood to go through all those emails.


When things pile up and you haven't kept up with them, here are 3 Suggestions to remedy the situation:

Strike when the Iron's Hot - when you get in the mood to tackle a particular project, just do it. Drop everything else. If you don't, you most likely will not get in the mood to do it again for quite some time.
This is what I did today, and it worked!

List and Plan - the opposite approach from my first suggestion is to make a list of all those tasks that need to be attended to and prioritize them. Once you are aware of what needs your attention, grab a calendar, choose a day and plan on doing it that day.

Go on an Adventure - shifting your attitude towards projects you easily ignore can make all the difference in the world. Instead of dreading the task, cultivate curiosity and interest, like you're on a treasure hunt! This is a great strategy for my "hoarding" friends out there for doing something about the clutter. It is spring cleaning time:)))

See you guys tomorrow,
Marilyn


2 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful post. Must read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Glad you liked it.
    I invite you to visit my website when you get a chance: http://livingstressfree.org/

    ReplyDelete